London Friend provides time-limited counselling to LGBT clients and require all volunteer counsellors to identity as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Trans. In addition, candidates must demonstrate:
- Experience of counselling training or provision.
- Have achieved a minimum of 2nd year of a recognised counselling diploma course.
- At least 30 hours experience of supervised counselling practice prior to application.
- An awareness of issues affecting LGB&T people and an awareness of their own attitudes and experiences of their own sexual orientation or gender identity and how these may affect the counselling relations.
- An awareness of issues associated with problematic drug and/or alcohol use.
- Candidates who do not fulfil all of the criteria but have demonstrable relevant experience and identify as LGB&T may be considered. For more information on being a volunteer counsellor for London Friend, please download the Counselling role description for counsellors.
If you would like to apply to be a counsellor with London Friend:
- Fill in our Online Volunteer Counsellor Application Form, or,
- Download and fill in the Volunteer Counsellor Application Form and post it to: The Counselling Services Manager, London Friend, 86 Caledonian Road, London N1 9DN. Please mark the envelope “Volunteer Counsellor Application”. If you would like to have this form in a larger font please contact the office on 020 7833 1674.